Wednesday, January 14, 2009

MIDNIGHT SNACKS MEETS BEARS!

One of my favorite bands out there right now is Cleveland OH's bears. I first heard of them when Pop reader Dennis S. told me he saw a band from Cleveland and asked me if I was familar with them. I was not. So I made sure to check out their next show. I was totally blown away with the great pop melodies that these guys produced. I always go see them every chance I get. They have since been getting a lot of local press as a top band in Cleveland and they appeared on USA Today's Pop Candy podcast. They have had features in Spin magazine and Spin online declaired them a "buzzworthy band".

I had a chance to catch up to Charlie from bears. Here's what he had to say.

1. What did you do for New Year's Eve?I tried to go to a movie (Slumdog Millionaire) that ended up being sold out, so I played Balderdash with my girlfriend and her family. Her mom won.

2. Who were some of the most interesting people you met in 2008?

Kaz of Pwrfl Power, Neil Turk, some great friends I met in Sweden who I'd only known over the internet previously - and some I didn't know at all yet.

3. So are you tired of playing songs from your album yet? Are you ready for new material?

Well, we're taking a bit of a break from playing shows at the moment, but it's always nice to have new material. For the first year or two of our band we played essentially the same songs, so it was nice when we wrote the latest album and had something else to play at shows. I'm already ready for something new again, though, so we shall see what happens.

4. What were some of your favorite albums this year?

Not all of these were released in 2008, but this is what I've listened to the most... and not in any particular order.Cats on Fire - The Province ComplainsWe Are Soldiers, We Have Guns - Get Up, Get Out,Hello Saferide - Introducing...The Mary Onettes - self-titledCelestial - Crystal HeightsPinback - Autumn of the Seraphs (the music, not the cover art)Maritime - Heresy & The Hotel ChoirRocky Votolato - The Brag & CussThe Knife - Silent ShoutNorthern Portrait - The Fallen Aristocracy EPPallers - Humdrum 12"Club 8 - The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Dreaming

Thanks Charlie! Hope to see you guys soon!
www.myspace.com/bearspop

bears3

No comments:

Post a Comment